STMicroelectronics’ have announced that Nokia’s Windows Phone 8 are expected late next year, and it will be using ST-Ericsson Novathor U8500 smartphone platform. This platform consists of a dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor and an ARM Mali 400 GPU.
According to the Forbes :
The first ST-Ericsson chipset that will appear in a Nokia Windows Phone is the U8500, a sophisticated dual-core system-on-a-chip that has been favorably compared to Qualcomm’s Snapdragon line because it offers multiple wireless technologies like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS and a fast, built-in HSPA+ modem, all in a compact format. Later Nokia Windows Phones – the company is planning to release 12 Windows Phone devices over the course of 2012 – will run on future versions of the U8500, said Bozotti.
According to the U8500 specs ,it is designed to run high quality next generation phones. Some of its features are :
- Full HD 1080p camcorder, multiple codecs supported
(H264 HP, VC-1, MPEG-4)
- High-resolution, touchscreen display support up to WXGA
- Simultaneous dual display support up to dual XGA
- High performance 3D graphics
- Dual camera support with Integrated ISP 20 Mpixel and 5 Mpixel
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS and FM enabled platform
- Built-in USB 2.0, HDMI out
- Support for multiple operating systems
- Optional support for mobile TV standards
- Highly efficient, low-power ARM dual Cortex™- A9 processor
- Dual multimedia DSP for low-power, flexible media processing
- High-bandwidth LP-DDR2 interface
- ARM® Mali™ 400 GPU and NEON®CPU extensions
- State-of-the-art HSPA (High-Speed Packet Access) Release 7 modem
- Unique audio architecture with a wide range of audio codecs supported
- Advanced power saving architecture enabling class-leading audio and video playback times
With lots of rumors and info for Windows phone 7.5 mango updates coming up which are highly attractive , what more can Microsoft think off with Windows phone 8 ?? Lets wait to check that out.!